Failed to resolve: com.google.android.gms:play-services in IntelliJ Idea with gradle

We Are Going To Discuss About Failed to resolve: com.google.android.gms:play-services in IntelliJ Idea with gradle. So lets Start this Java Article.

Failed to resolve: com.google.android.gms:play-services in IntelliJ Idea with gradle

  1. Failed to resolve: com.google.android.gms:play-services in IntelliJ Idea with gradle

    I had the issue when I put jcenter() before google() in project level build.gradle. When I changed the order and put google() before jcenter() in build.gradle the problem disappeared

  2. Failed to resolve: com.google.android.gms:play-services in IntelliJ Idea with gradle

    I had the issue when I put jcenter() before google() in project level build.gradle. When I changed the order and put google() before jcenter() in build.gradle the problem disappeared

Solution 1

I had the issue when I put jcenter() before google() in project level build.gradle. When I changed the order and put google() before jcenter() in build.gradle the problem disappeared

Here is my final build.gradle

// Top-level build file where you can add configuration options common to all sub-projects/modules.
buildscript {

    repositories {
        google()
        jcenter()
    }
    dependencies {
        classpath 'com.android.tools.build:gradle:3.1.3'


        // NOTE: Do not place your application dependencies here; they belong
        // in the individual module build.gradle files
    }
}

allprojects {
    repositories {
        google()
        jcenter()
    }
}

task clean(type: Delete) {
    delete rootProject.buildDir
}

Original Author Moussa Of This Content

Solution 2

I just replaced version 11.2.0 with 11.0.0 and then it seemed to work fine, so that had to mean that 11.2.0 wasn’t included with the latest Android SDK.

So, after struggling with all the available scattered documentation, I reached this document by pure chance (I guess it is not indexed high enough by Google):
https://developers.google.com/android/guides/releases

I quote from there:

Highlights from the Google Play services 11.2 release. Google Play
services dependencies are now available via maven.google.com

Now, even when that shouldn’t necessarily mean that they are not available with the downloaded SDK anymore, it seems that this is actually the case.

Anyway, adding google() to my build.gradle didn’t work (not found, undefined, or whatever…), so I used a different approach that I found in this document referenced from the previous one:

https://developer.android.com/studio/build/dependencies.html#google-maven

I modified my build.gradle file adding that line to allprojects/repositories, as in:

allprojects {
...
    repositories {
...
        maven { url "https://maven.google.com/"}
    }
}

And then also in the android section in the same build.gradle file:

project(":android") {
...
    dependencies {
...
        compile 'com.google.android.gms:play-services-ads:11.2.0'
    }
}

Those two lines were enough to make Gradle sync without problems. I didn’t need to add any plugins apart from the ones that are already added in my libGDX project by default.

After that, I got a few different errors, but none about Gradle or dependencies. In a brief, JFTR:

First, I had a minSdkVersion of 8. Solved by raising it to 14. I think I could live without supporting all those devices below 14.

Second, I had problems with the dex upper limit of references. I’ve never faced this problem before, but maybe you’ve already noticed the solution I used: instead of compiling the whole ‘com.google.android.gms:play-services’ I used only ‘com.google.android.gms:play-services-ads’ that’s the API I’m actually interested right now. For those other particular cases where a solution like this may not be useful, this document could provide some better insight: https://developer.android.com/studio/build/multidex.html

Third, even after that I got this “jumbo” thing problem described and answered here: https://stackoverflow.com/a/26248495/1160360

And that’s it. As of now, everything builds and my game does finally shows those Admob banners.

I’ve spent hours with this, thought, which makes me wonder if all these building automation systems we are using lately are worth the extra load they add.

I mean, the first time I had to add Admob to an app five years ago or so, I just had to download a .jar file and put it on a directory on my project. It was pretty obvious and the whole process, from googling “how to setup Admob in my android project” to have my app showing an Admob banner took me just a few minutes. I’m gonna leave it here, since this is not the place for such kind of debate.

Nonetheless, I hope my own experience is useful for someone else further.

Original Author Fran Marzoa Of This Content

Solution 3

I tried solving this problem for hours after I haven’t used Android Studio some time and wasn’t aware of the updates.

It is important that google() is the first item that stands in repositories like this:

allprojects {
    repositories {
        google()
        jcenter()
        mavenCentral()
    }
}

Somehow google() was the second item after jcenter(), so everything was messed up and didn’t work. Maybe this helps someone.

Original Author AlexioVay Of This Content

Solution 4

Add this to your project-level build.gradle file:

repositories {
    maven {
        url "https://maven.google.com"
    }
}

It worked for me

Original Author zsubzwary Of This Content

Conclusion

So This is all About This Tutorial. Hope This Tutorial Helped You. Thank You.

Also Read,

Siddharth

I am an Information Technology Engineer. I have Completed my MCA And I have 4 Year Plus Experience, I am a web developer with knowledge of multiple back-end platforms Like PHP, Node.js, Python and frontend JavaScript frameworks Like Angular, React, and Vue.

Leave a Comment